Originally from Johannesburg, South Africa, Andrew Orkin is an internationally acclaimed composer for film and multimedia now based in Brooklyn, New York.
Featured on ASCAP's "Composer Spotlight" in 2016, Andrew's music falls in the crossover between electronic and acoustic worlds. The amalgamation of these two styles stems from Andrew's lifelong obsession with electronic music production, alongside a formal music education as a Fulbright Scholar at NYU's Steinhardt School. Andrew has collaborated with directors across five continents and in as many mediums, including a multitude of feature-length, short-form and commercial projects.
Andrew started working at Fall On Your Sword, a composition house in Brooklyn, as an in-house composer in 2015 where alongside his own filmic projects, he writes additional music under the guidance of composer (and founder of FOYS), Will Bates. Andrew's music has been featured in film and television projects across multiple networks including HBO, Netflix, CNN and SyFy; servicing narrative and documentary directors alike, including Alex Gibney and Fisher Stevens.
Through Fall On Your Sword, Andrew has been awarded an array of advertising pitches for clientele including Google, Lincoln and TBS, as well as penning promotional music for the Walking Dead, the Americans and Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
As an aside to his film scoring work, Andrew writes and produces as one half of the electro-pop duo, Tiger and Man, who released their first EP in 2016. A followup EP is due for release in the summer of 2017.
- 2012 – 2014: New York University – MMus in Scoring for Film and Multimedia.
- 2011 – 2012: Berklee School of Music Online – Certificates in Advanced Orchestration and Film Scoring.
- 2007 – 2010: The University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa – BMus with honours in Composition and Music Research.
- 2016: Selected as a composer for the ASCAP/Columbia Film Scoring Workshop.
- 2015: Selected as a composer for the ASCAP/Columbia Film Scoring Workshop.
- 2014: The Elmer Bernstein Prize for Achievement in Composition and Film Scoring at New York University.
- 2013: Partial Funding to attend the NYU/BMI Workshop for Music in Commercial Media
- 2013: Full Funding to attend the NYU/BMI Songwriters Workshop
- 2012: The Fulbright Scholarship for the pursuit of a MMus in Scoring for Film and Multimedia degree at New York University.
- 2010: The Kirby Medal for Music for top fourth-year BMus student at the University of the Witwatersrand.
- 2010: National Research Foundation freestanding scholarship for honours-level research.
- 2009: Abraham and Olga Lipman Scholarship for top third-year BMus student at the University of the Witwatersrand